On Tuesday I attended an In Service Training mandated so many months after one begins their year of service. I was genuinely excited because I got to spend the day with people from my PSO group that I have not seen since we left Chicago on that stormy June day (that's a story in itself). The day had all been planned out for me and all I had to do was go through it like an ordinary VISTA and be a sponge for all the new information/ideas being thrown my direction.
Half of my day had gone by in the blink of an eye and it was already lunch time. As I was standing in line to get my plate of yummy-ness provided by Holiday Inn, I was approached and told that The Columbus Dispatch was doing an article about the job market (or lack there-of) and falling incomes in the Columbus area. They thought I would be perfect to be interviewed for the article because I am a recent Capital University graduate and had to deal with declining job market for a year after I graduated and before I landed my role as AmeriCorps*VISTA with OASHF. I was excited because I've never been interviewed for something like that before!
A couple hours later after my session was done and waiting for the day to end, we got the phone call from the writer ready to ask some questions. She asked when I graduated, what degree and major I graduated with, how many applications I had placed since then, and why I ultimately chose to become an AmeriCorps*VISTA. After I told my story she thanked me and told me to check The Columbus Dispatch the next day for the article. Before I even had a chance to pick up a newspaper or check the online version, there was buzz around the office and emails had already been sent out. Come to find out the article was actually a cover story! Not sure which section it was on the cover of, but a cover none-the-less! I was also asked to do an internal interview and tell my story to be posted on the OASHF blog as a follow up to the article in the paper.
The following link is to The Columbus Dispatch article: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/09/29/poverty-rate-jumps-locally.html?sid=101
The following link is to the OASHF Blog: http://www.oashf-storiesfromohioans.blogspot.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment